skip to Main Content

edward f caldwellThursday, November 10, 2016
6 pm | Cocktails
7 pm | Dinner
8 pm | Lecture

Deadline for dinner/lecture registration:
Monday, November 7th, 5 pm

LIGHTING UP DETROIT:
WORKS OF THE EDWARD F. CALDWELL COMPANY
Speaker: Margaret Caldwell

Register Now

 

Margaret Caldwell’s lecture will highlight many of Detroit’s architectural masterpieces with lighting commissioned from the New York firm of Edward F. Caldwell and Company, such as the Cadillac, Buhl, Fisher, and Guardian Buildings, the Detroit Athletic Club, and the Detroit Institute of Arts, as well as prominent private residences. Many illustrations which will be shown in the lecture are presentation drawings from the archives of the Library of the Cooper-Hewitt Museum, National Museum of Design, which presently are not available to the public.

E.F. Caldwell & Company (1894-1959) was the foremost establishment to custom design electrical lighting for public and private structures after Edison’s invention of the incandescent light bulb. It designed and manufactured fixtures and metalwork for numerous architectural firms such as McKim, Mead & White (State Savings Bank,1900), Warren & Wetmore (Michigan Central Depot,1913), Ralph Cram (St. Paul’s Cathedral, 1914), George B. Post (Hotel Statler, 1915), and Albert Kahn (Cadillac Building, 1923, Fisher Building, 1927, Kresge Corporation, 1928), and Wirt Rowland (Buhl Building, 1927). Many private clients in the Detroit area included the Fisher and Ford families, Roy D. Chapin, Senator James Couzens, Horace and Anna Dodge, and Dexter M. Ferry, Jr.

Margaret B. Caldwell is a decorative and fine arts scholar, appraiser and consultant to collectors and institutions.  She has been involved with, written and lectured on the art market and the decorative arts for over forty years. She is a great-granddaughter of Edward F. Caldwell and is compiling a history of the New York lighting and metalworks firm E.F. Caldwell & Company.

Back To Top
×Close search
Search