1907 – Group of local artists and art lovers founded the Hopkin Club, named after revered “granddaddy” of Detroit artists, Robert Hopkin (1832-1909).
1911 – The first Exhibition of Hopkin Club Painters was held at the Detroit Museum of Art featuring 153 works of art by 17 participants.
1913 – Name changed from Hopkin Club to Scarab Club. The name Scarab Club was inspired by then President James Swan’s collection of carved Egyptian Scarabs symbolizing “resurrection of life”.
1917 – First Scarab Club Costume Ball held, themed “Fashion of the Year 2017”
– Scarab Club Gold Medal Award Introduced.
1926 – A committee of architect members selected Lancelot Sulkert (1888-1966) as architect to begin developing permanent building for organization.
1928 – Permanent location at 217 Farnsworth is completed and opened. During construction, members contributed items that were placed in a time capsule sealed in the building’s cornerstone.
1932 – Diego Rivera visits the Scarab Club and signs a beam in the second floor lounge while working on his Detroit Industry murals at the Detroit Institute of Arts.
1937 – Life Magazine comes to Detroit to cover the highly recognized Scarab Club costume balls. Theme for this particular year was “Scarabean Cruise”.
1941 – Juliana Force, first Director of the Whitney Museum in New York, visits the Scarab Club and signs a beam in the second floor lounge.
1946 – Norman Rockwell visits the Scarab Club and signs a beam in the second floor lounge.
1962 – Membership officially opened to women.
1973 – First Scarab Club female President, Bernice Carmichael elected.
1974 – Building designated as State of Michigan Historic Site on July 26, 1974
1976 – Stephen Veresh installs his Phoenix sculpture on the outer wall facing John R Street in honor of the nation’s bicentennial.
1979 – Building designated as a Local Historic District in Detroit on July 18, 1979 and remains the only single building in Detroit so listed.
– Building designated a National Historic Site on November 20, 1979 for its outstanding historical and architectural significance.
1980 – Edgar Yaeger installs his Moorish mosaics between the large windows facing Farnsworth Street (rendered in the original architect’s drawing in 1928 when Yaeger was a junior Scarab member).
1997 – “Fifty Years of Scarab Club Art” exhibition opened featuring member art from 1907-1957 (organized by Patricia Reed, Randell Reed and Greg Stephens).
2007 – Scarab Club celebrates its 100th anniversary.